FRIENDS OF CANNOCK CHASE
Our history really goes back to the 1930's when Mac Wright a local historian (writer of 2 books on the area) became alarmed at the environmental pressures on Cannock Chase. After the 1st World War, Camps on the Chase had been abandoned on lands belonging to the Marquis of Anglesey then leased back to the Forestry Commission who proceeded to plant row upon row of pine trees. The Marquis left the historic Beaudesert Hall in favour of Plas Newydd on Anglesey and many of the contents were moved or sold. That group of Friends were given the opportunity to buy but the price was prohibitive and so the Hall was left and this original group of Friends folded in 1938.
The present Group was formed in November 1947 when groups from Cannock, Hednesford, Rugeley, Stafford and Penkridge once again became concerned about the future of the area. Most of the public see our programme of walks and visits but we have a hard working committee monitoring all aspects of events on the Chase. In the early days we campaigned for recognition of the area by granting it A.O.N.B. (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) status thus giving greater protection to the area and this was granted in 1958. We have ancient oaks in Brocton Coppice and our heathland is the largest tract of this habitat in the Midlands. In addition to our walks and events, in the Autumn and Winter we undertake heathland management work and in the summer litter picks.
OUR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FOR 2015 IS £7.00